The faculty at Wayne State University School of Medicine is dedicated to bringing to bear the latest advances in basic research to promote a better understanding and to provide innovative new strategies to treat epilepsy. We strive to combine top national expertise in multiple basic and clinical sciences. Our research efforts span from basic mechanisms of synapse development to positron emission tomography and magnetic resonance imaging of brains of patients with epilepsy.
Wayne State University – Detroit Medical Center clinical epilepsy researchers have a long-standing tradition of conducting successful investigator-initiated and industry sponsored clinical trials. Their diverse research interests include management of status epilepticus, unique mechanisms of seizure detection, seizure safety and education, and epilepsy in special populations including pregnant females, elderly and those with other neurological conditions.
Ongoing Clinical Trials
1. Fycompa in Routine Clinical Care of Patients With Epilepsy Site PI: Maysaa Basha, M.D. Sponsor: Eisai Co.
2. A Multicenter, Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial With an Open-Label Extension Phase of Perampanel as Adjunctive Treatment in Subjects at Least 2 years of Age With Inadequately Controlled Seizures Associated With Lennox-Gastaut SyndromeSite PI: Deepti Zutshi, M.D.Sponsor: Eisai Co.
3. Efficacy and Safety of Eslicarbazepine Acetate as First Add-on to Levetiracetam or Lamotrigine Monotherapy or as Later Adjunctive Treatment for Subjects with Uncontrolled Partial-onset Seizures: A Multicenter, Open-label, Non-randomized Trial Site PI: Maysaa Basha, M.D. Sponsor: Sunovion
Active Grants & Awards
1. Epilepsy educational outreach program PI: Deepti Zutshi, M.D. Source: Detroit Medical Center Foundation Awarded Grant: $95,000
2. The sound of seizures: auto-triggered seizure detection PI: Maysaa Basha, M.D Source: Epilepsy Foundation Shark Tank Competition Winner 2017 Awarded Grant: $75,000
3. Effect of seizures in patients with Alzheimer's disease with respect to cognitive progression, imaging and electrographic biomarkers PI: Rohit Marawar, M.D. Source: Albert & Goldye Nelson Grant Awarded Grant: $40,000
4. Safety and analysis educational videos for RNs and EEG techs in Epilepsy Monitoring Unit. PI: Rohit Marawar, M.D. Co-I: Maysaa Basha, M.D. Source: Detroit Receiving Hospital Physician Foundation Awarded Grant: $7,000
5. Cortical Microstructural Changes in African-Americans with Alzheimer's Disease. Co-I: Rohit Marawar, M.D. Source: Michigan Alzheimer's Disease Center Pilot Grant Awarded Grant: $35,000
6. Title: Improving Patient Safety Outcomes and Direct Hospital Costs with the Use of Patient Checklists in Acute Seizure Management. PI: Maysaa Basha, M.D. Source: Blue Cross Blue Shield Michigan Foundation Awarded Grant: $75,000
7. Title: Critical Care EEG Monitoring Research Consortium. A multi-center continuous EEG database for shared EEG based projects. Site PI: Deepti Zutshi Sponsor: Northwestern University, Department of Neurology
Recent Adult Epilepsy Publications
11. Xu J, Mohamed W, Basha MM, Zutshi D. Electroencephalogram Characteristics in Critical Ill Patients Before Cardiac Arrest: A Case Series. Clin EEG Neurosci. 2019 Jul 29.
2. Desai A, Kherallah Y, Szabo C, Marawar R. Gabapentin or Pregabalin Induced Myoclonus: A Case Series and Literature Review. J. Clin Neurosci. 2019 Mar; 61:225-234.
3. Marawar R, Basha M, Mahulikar A, Desai A, Suchdev K, Shah A. Updates in Refractory Status Epilepticus. Critical care research and practice. 2018.
4. Rao S, Narayanan S, Nanjireddy R, Mittal S, Basha M. Pearls & Oy-sters: Symptomatic cerebral vasospasm on conventional angiography following temporal lobe epilepsy surgery. Neurology. 2017 Jun 6;88(23):e230-
5. Basha MM, Suchdev K, Dhakar M, Kupsky WJ, Mittal S, Shah AK. Acute resective surgery for the treatment of refractory status epilepticus. Neurocritical care. 2017 Dec 1;27(3):370-80.
6. Ali R, Elsayed M, Kaur M, Air E, Mahmood N, Constantinou J, Schwalb J. Use of social media to assess the effectiveness of vagal nerve stimulation in Dravet syndrome: A caregiver's perspective. Journal of the neurological sciences. 2017 Apr 15;375:146-9.
7. Marawar RA, Yeh HJ, Carnabatu CJ, Stern JM. Functional Mri correlates of resting-state temporal theta and delta Eeg rhythms. Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology. 2017 Jan 1;34(1):69-76
8. Sivakumar S, Zutshi D, Seraji-Bozorgzad N, Shah AK. Effects of Marijuana on Ictal and Interictal EEG Activities in Idiopathic Generalized Epilepsy. Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology. 2017 Jan 1;34(1):e1-4.
9. Zutshi D. Medication-Induced Seizures and Status Epilepticus. In Continuous EEG Monitoring 2017 (pp. 361-382). Springer, Cham.
10. Basha MM (2017). Episode 4: Acute Resective Surgery for the Treatment of Refractory Status Epilepticus. [podcast] NCS Podcast Series. Neurocritical Care Society.
11. Halford JJ, Arain A, Kalamangalam GP, LaRoche SM, Bonilha L, Basha M, Azar NJ, Kutluay E, Martz GU, Wolf BJ, Waters CG, Dean BC. Characteristics of EEG Interpreters Associated with Higher Inter-rater Agreement. Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology 2017 Mar; 34(2):168-173.
12. Bansal P, Zutshi D, Suchdev K, Azher I, Mohamed W. Alpha 3 ganglionic acetylcholine receptor antibody associated refractory status epilepticus. Seizure-European Journal of Epilepsy. 2016 Feb 1;35:1-3.
13. Mittal S, Barkmeier D, Hua J, Pai D, Fuerst D, Basha M, Loeb J, Shah A. Intracranial EEG analysis in tumor related epilepsy: Evidence of distant epileptic abnormalities. Clinical Neurophysiology 2016 Jan;127(1):238- 44.
14. Desai A, Kherallah R, Szabo C, Marawar R. Gabapentin or Pregabalin Induced Myoclonus: A Case Series and Literature Review. Accepted for publication, Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, Sep 2018.
Recent Pediatric Epilepsy Publications
15. Sood S, Ilyas M, Marupudi NI, Asano E, Kumar A, Luat A, Saleem S, Mody S, Altinok D, Poulik J, Kupsky WJ, Ham SD, Chugani HT. Anatomical hemispherectomy revisited- outcome, blood loss, hydrocephalus & absence of chronic hemosiderosis. Childs Nervous System 2019;35:1341-1349.
16. Peterson C, Garling RJ, Asano E, Kupsky WJ, Set K, Agarwal R, Sood S. Successful surgical treatment of refractory status epilepticus in a 12-day-old infant. Pediatr Neurol 2019;92:73-75.
17. Lee MH, O'Hara NB, Motoi H, Luat AF, Juhasz C, Sood S, Asano E, Jeong JW. Novel diffusion tractography methodology using Kalman filter prediction to improve preoperative benefit-risk analysis in pediatric epilepsy surgery. J Neurosurg Pediatr 2019. doi: 10.3171/2019.4.PEDS1994.
18. Ikegaya N, Motoi H, Iijima K, Takayama Y, Kambara T, Sugiura A, Silverstein B, Iwasaki M, Asano E. Spatiotemporal dynamics of auditory and picture naming-related high-gamma modulations: a study of Japanese-speaking patients. Clin Neurophysiol 2019;130:1446-1454.
19. Xu H, Dong M, Lee MH, O'Hara N, Asano E, Jeong JW. Objective detection of eloquent axonal pathways to minimize postoperative deficits in pediatric epilepsy surgery using diffusion tractography and convolutional neural networks. IEEE Trans Med Imaging 2019. doi: 10.1109/TMI.2019.2902073.
20. Lee MH, O'Hara NB, Nakai Y, Luat AF, Juhasz C, Sood S, Asano E, Jeong JW. Prediction of post-operative deficits using an improved diffusion-weighted imaging maximum a posteriori probability analysis in pediatric epilepsy surgery. J Neurosurg Pediatr 2019. doi: 10.3171/2018.11.PEDS18601. (featured as the cover figure)
21. Nakai Y, Sugiura A, Brown EC, Sonoda M, Jeong JW, Rothermel R, Luat AF, Sood S, Asano E. Four-dimensional functional cortical atlas of visual and auditory language: intracranial recording. Epilepsia 2019;60:255-267.
22. Maharathi B, Wlodarski R, Bagla S, Asano E, Hua J, Patton J, Loeb JA. Interictal spike connectivity in human epileptic neocortex. Clin Neurophysiol 2019;130:270-279. (selected for the Mary Brazier Award)
23. Johnson EL, Tang L, Yin Q, Asano E, Ofen N. Direct brain recordings reveal prefrontal cortex dynamics of memory development. Sci Adv 2018;4:eaat3702. doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aat3702.
24. Kambara T, Brown EC, Silverstein BH, Nakai Y, Asano E. Neural dynamics of verbal working memory in auditory description naming. Sci Rep 2018;8:15868. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-33776-2.
25. Xu H, Dong M, Nakai Y, Asano E, Jeong J. Automatic detection of eloquent axonal pathways in diffusion tractography using intracranial electrical stimulation mapping and convolutional neural networks. Proc IEEE Int Symp Biomed Imaging. 2018;2018:1034-1037. doi: 10.1109/ISBI.2018.8363748.
26. Motoi H, Miyakoshi M, Jeong JW, Nakai Y, Sugiura A, Luat AF, Agarwal R, Sood S, Asano E. Phase-amplitude coupling between high-frequency oscillations and slow wave in epilepsy surgery. Epilepsia 2018;59:1954–1965.
27. Iimura Y, Jones K, Takada L, Shimizu I, Koyama M, Hattori K, Okazawa Y, Nonoda Y, Asano E, Akiyama T, Go C, Ochi A, Snead OC 3rd, Donner EJ, Rutka JT, Drake JM, Otsubo H. Strong coupling between slow oscillations and wide fast ripples in children with epileptic spasms: Investigation of modulation index and occurrence rate. Epilepsia 2018;59:544-554.
28. Nakai Y, Nagashima A, Hayakawa A, Osuki T, Jeong JW, Sugiura A, Brown EC, Asano E. Four-dimensional map of the human early visual system. Clin Neurophysiol 2018;129:188-197. (featured as the cover figure)
29. Bagla S, Cukovic D, Asano E, Sood S, Luat A, Chugani HT, Chugani DC, Dombkowski AA. A distinct microRNA expression profile is a determinant of seizure onset propensity and 11C-alpha-methyl-L-tryptophan (AMT) PET uptake in cortical tubers of tuberous sclerosis complex patients. Neurobiol Dis 2018;109:76-87.
30. Abel TJ, Losito E, Ibrahim GM, Asano E, Rutka JT. Multimodal localization and surgery for epileptic spasms of focal origin: a review. Neurosurg Focus 2018;45:E4.
31. Kambara T, Sood S, Alqatan Z, Klingert C, Ratnam D, Hayakawa A, Nakai Y, Luat AF, Agarwal R, Rothermel R, Asano E. Presurgical language mapping using event-related high-gamma activity: the Detroit procedure. Clin Neurophysiol 2018;129:145-154.
32. Frauscher B, Bartolomei F, Kobayashi K, Cimbalnik J, van 't Klooster MA, Rampp S, Otsubo H; Höller Y, Wu JY, Asano E, Engel J Jr, Kahane P, Jacobs J, Gotman J. High-frequency oscillations (HFOs) are ready to be implemented in clinical epilepsy care. Epilepsia 2017;58:1316-1329.
33. Smyth MD, Vellimana AK, Asano E, Sood S. Corpus callosotomy -open and endoscopic surgical techniques. Epilepsia 2017;58(suppl1):73-79.
34. Beniczky S, Aurlien H, Brøgger JC, Hirsch LJ, Schomer DL, Trinka E, Pressler RM, Wennberg R, Visser GH, Eisermann M, Diehl B, Lesser RP, Kaplan PW, Nguyen The Tich S, Lee JW, Martins-da-Silva A, Stefan H, Neufeld M, Rubboli G, Fabricius M, Gardella E, Terney D, Meritam P, Eichele T, Asano E, Cox F, van Emde Boas W, Mameniskiene R, Marusic P, Zárubová J, Schmitt FC, Rosén I, Fuglsang-Frederiksen A, Ikeda A, MacDonald DB, Terada K, Ugawa Y, Zhou D, Herman ST. Standardized computer-based organized reporting of EEG: SCORE - Second version. Clin Neurophysiol 2017;128:2334-2346.
35. Sonoda M, Masuda H, Shirozu H, Ito Y, Akazawa K, Asano E, Kameyama S. Predictors of cognitive function in patients with hypothalamic hamartoma following stereotactic radiofrequency thermocoagulation surgery. Epilepsia 2017;58:1556-1565.
36. Nishida M, Korzeniewska A, Crone NE, Toyoda G, Ofen N, Brown EC, Asano E. Brain network dynamics in the human articulatory loop. Clin Neurophysiol 2017;128:1473-1487. (selected as the highlight and featured as the cover figure)
37. Iimura Y, Jones K, Hattori K, Okazawa Y, Noda A, Hoashi K, Nonoda Y*, Asano E, Akiyama T, Go C, Ochi A, Snead OC 3rd, Donner EJ, Rutka JT, Drake JM, Otsubo H. The epileptogenic high frequency oscillations skipping the motor area in children with multilobar drug-resistant epilepsy. Clin Neurophysiol 2017;128:1197-1205.
38. Jeong JW, Asano E, Pilli VK, Nakai Y, Chugani HT, Juhász C. Objective 3D surface evaluation of intracranial electrophysiologic correlates of cerebral glucose metabolic abnormalities in children with focal epilepsy. Hum Brain Mapp 2017;38:3098-3112.
39. Ueda K, Sood S, Asano E, Kumar A, Luat A. Elimination of medically intractable epileptic drop attacks following endoscopic total corpus callosotomy in Rett syndrome. Childs Nerv Syst 2017;33:1883-1887.
40. Kambara T, Brown EC, Jeong JW, Ofen N, Nakai Y, Asano E. Spatio-temporal dynamics of working memory maintenance and scanning of verbal information. Clin Neurophysiol 2017;128:882-891.
41. Luat AF, Asano E, Kumar A, Chugani HT, Sood S. Corpus callosotomy for intractable epilepsy revisited: the Children's Hospital of Michigan series. J Child Neurol 2017;32:624-629.
42. Nakai Y, Jeong JW, Brown EC, Rothermel R, Kojima K, Kambara T, Shah A, Mittal S, Sood S, Asano E. Three- and four-dimensional mapping of speech and language in patients with epilepsy. Brain 2017;140:1351-1370.
43. Asano E. Invited editorial: High-frequency oscillations are under your control. Don't chase all of them. Clin Neurophysiol 2017;128:841-842.
44. Asano E, Gotman J. Invited editorial: Is electrocorticography-based language mapping ready to replace stimulation? Neurology 2016;86:1174-6.
45. Sood S, Asano E, Altinok D, Luat A. Endoscopic posterior interhemispheric complete corpus callosotomy. J Neurosurg Pediatr 2016;25:689-692. (featured as the cover figure)
46. Kamson DO, Pilli VK, Asano E, Jeong JW, Sood S, Juhász C, Chugani HT. Cortical thickness asymmetries and surgical outcome in neocortical epilepsy. J Neurol Sci 2016;368:97-103.
47. Jeong JW, Asano E, Juhász C, Behen ME, Chugani HT. Postoperative axonal changes in the contralateral hemisphere in children with medically refractory epilepsy: A longitudinal diffusion tensor imaging connectome analysis. Hum Brain Mapp 2016;37:3946-3956.
48. Bosnyák E, Behen ME, Guy WC, Asano E, Chugani HT, Juhász C. Predictors of Cognitive Functions in Children With Sturge-Weber Syndrome: A Longitudinal Study. Pediatr Neurol 2016;61:38-45.
49. Nonoda Y, Miyakoshi M, Ojeda A, Makeig S, Juhasz C, Sood S, Asano E. Interictal high-frequency oscillations generated by seizure onset and eloquent areas may be differentially coupled with different slow waves. Clin Neurophysiol 2016;127:2489-99.
50. Nishida M, Zestos MM, Asano E. Spatial-temporal patterns of electrocorticographic spectral changes during midazolam sedation. Clin Neurophysiol 2016;127:1223-32.
51. Chugani HT, Ilyas M, Kumar A, Juhász C, Kupsky WJ, Sood S, Asano E. Surgical treatment for refractory infantile spasms: the Detroit series. Epilepsia 2015;56:1941-9.