Amiee Luat, MD
Amiee Luat, MD
Aimee F. Luat, M.D., is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Neurology at Wayne State University and is a board-certified pediatric neurologist and epileptologist at Children’s Hospital of Michigan. She is the current medical director of our Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery Program and our Tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) clinic at Children’s Hospital of Michigan. She is also the program director of our Pediatric Epilepsy Fellowship Program. Her clinical and research interest includes epilepsies associated with TSC, Sturge-Weber syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome.
The central theme of her research activities consists of merging the clinical features of epilepsy with the use of cutting edge diagnostic modalities including brain magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), positron emission tomography (PET), and EEG, as well as the different epilepsy treatment modalities.
Manila Central University, College of Arts and Sciences. Caloocan City, Philippines. B.S 1990
University of Santo Tomas. Manila Philippines. M.D. 1994, Cum Laude
Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Neurology
Internship in Pediatrics: Department of Pediatrics, Children's Hospital of Michigan. Detroit Medical Center, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201
Medical Internship: University of Santo Tomas Hospital, Manila Philippines 1995
Pediatric Neurology Residency: Childrens Hospital of Michigan, Detroit Medical Center, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201
Adult Neurology Residency: Detroit Medical Center, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 2008
Pediatric Residency: Chinese Medical Center Blumentritt, Quezon City, Philippines 1998
Neurophysiology Fellowship: Detroit Medical Center, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201
Pediatric Neurology Fellowship: Philippine Children's Medical Center, Quezon City, Philippines 2002
1. Luat AF. Rasmussen’s encephalitis. J Pediatr Epilepsy 2018; 07(02): 045-051 DOI: 10.1055/s-0038-1668590.
2. Luat AF. Epilepsy Surgery in antibody-associated autoimmune encephalitis and epilepsies: review of literature. J Pediatr Epilepsy 2018; 07(02): 076-080 DOI: 10.1055/s-0038-1668585.
3. De La Torre A, Luat AF, Juhász C, Ho Mai Lan, Aspersinger BS, Cavuoto K, Enriquez-Algeciras M, Tikkanen S, North P, Burkhart C, Chugani HT, Ball K, Pinto A, Loeb J. A multidisciplinary consensus for clinical care and research needs for Sturge-Weber Syndrome. Pediatric Neurology 2018 Apr 18. DOI: 10.1016/j.pediatrneurol.2018.04.005
4. Kambara T, Sood S, Alqatan Z, Klingert C, Ratnam D, Hayakawa A, Nakai Y, Luat AF, Rajkumar A, Rothermel R, Asano E. Presurgical language mapping using event-related high-gamma activity: The Detroit procedure. Clin Neurophysiol. 2018 Jan;129:145-154. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2017.10.018. Epub 2017 Oct 31. Review.
5. Kumar A, Juhász C, Luat AF, Govil-Dalela T, Behen ME, Hicks M, Chugani HT. Evolution of Brain glucose metabolic abnormalities in children with epilepsy and SCN1A gene variants. J Child Neurol 2018: Sep 5:883073818796373. DOI: 10.1177/0883073818796373
6. Motoi H, Miyakoshi M, Abel TJ, Jeong JW, Nakai Y, Sugiura A, Luat AF, Agarwal A, Sood, S, Asano E. Phase-amplitude coupling between interictal high-frequency activity and slow wave in epilepsy surgery. Epilepsia 2018 Aug 26. DOI: 10.1111/epi.14544.
7. Luat AF, Behen, ME, Chugani HT, Juhász C. Cognitive and motor outcomes in children with Sturge-Weber Syndrome: Effect of age at seizure onset and side of brain involvement. Epilepsy and Behavior, 2018 Mar; 80:202-207.
8. Kim JA, Jeong JW, Behen ME, Pilli VK, Luat AF, Chugani HT, Juhász C. Metabolic correlates of cognitive function in children with unilateral Sturge-Weber syndrome: Evidence for regional functional reorganization and crowding. Hum Brain Mapp. 2018 Apr; 39:1596-1605.
9. Bagla S, Cukovic D, Asano E, Sood S, Luat AF, Chugani HT, Chugani D, Dombkowski A. A distinct microRNA expression in α [11C] methyl-L-tryptophan (AMT) PET uptake in epileptogenic cortical tubers resected from patients with tuberous sclerosis complex. Neurobiol Dis. 2018 Jan;109(Pt A):76-87.
10. Luat AF, Asano E, Kumar A, Chugani HT, Sood S. Corpus callosotomy for intractable epilepsy revisited: the Children’s Hospital of Michigan series. J Child Neurol 2017; 32: 624-629. PMID: 28511630. 2016 Impact Factor: 1.378. Citations: 4.
11. Ueda K*, Sood S, Asano, E. Kumar, A, Luat AF. Elimination of medically intractable epileptic drop attacks following endoscopic corpus callosotomy in Rett Syndrome”. Childs Nerv Syst. 2017 Nov;33:1883-1887. doi: 10.1007/s00381-017-3567-y.
12. Set K*, Ghosh D, Huq AHM, Luat A. Episodic Ataxia type 1 (K-channelopathy) manifesting as paroxysmal non-kinesogenic dyskinesia: expanding the phenotype. Movement Disorder Clinical Practice 2017 Sept/October 2017; 4: 784-786. DOI:10.1002/mdc3.12518.
13. Sood, S, Asano E, Altinok D, Luat A. Endoscopic posterior interhemispheric complete corpus callosotomy. J Neurosurg Pediatr 2016 Dec; 25: 689-92.
14. Rashid, S*, Saleem S, Luat AF. Sjögren-Larsson Syndrome: A Neuro-Ichthyotic Disorder With Unique Magnetic Resonance Features. Pediatr Neurol 2016 Sep; 62: 73-4. PMID 27212566.
15. Luat AF, Coyle L, Kamat D. The Ketogenic Diet: A Practical Guide For Pediatricians. Pediatr Ann 2016 Dec; 45: e446-e50.
16. Luat AF, Kamat D, Sivaswamy L. Paroxysmal non-epileptic events in infancy, childhood and adolescence. Pediatr Ann. 2015; F44: e18-23.
17. Luat AF. Progressive myoclonus epilepsies with adolescent onset: Clinical Features and Diagnosis. Journal of Pediatric Epilepsy 2015; 4: 109-117 DOI: 10.1055/s-0035-1556734.
18. Patel R*, Luat AF, Rajamani K. "Wrong Side" Tongue Deviation in Hemiplegia from Stroke. Pediatr Neurol 2015; July; 53:95-6.
19. Chugani HT, Luat, AF, Kumar, AJ, Govindan R, Pawlik K, Asano E. α [11 C] methyl-L-tryptophan PET in 191 patients with tuberous sclerosis complex. Neurology 2013 Aug; 81:1-7.
20. Luat AF, Bernardi B, Chugani HT. Congenital perisylvian syndrome: MRI and glucose PET correlates. Pediatr Neurol 2006 July; 35: 21- 9.
21. Luat AF, Asano E, Juhasz C, Chandana SR, Sood S, Chugani HT. Relationship between brain glucose metabolism positron emission tomography (PET) and electroencephalography in children with continuous spike and wave during slow wave sleep. J Child Neurol 2005 Aug; 20: 682 – 90.
22. Asano E, Pawlak C, Shah A, Shah J, Luat AF, Ahh-Ewing J, Chugani HT. The diagnostic value of initial video-EEG in children-review of 100 cases. Epilepsy Res 2005 Aug- Sep; 66: 129 – 35.