Bo Hu, MD, PhD
Bo Hu, MD, PhD
Dr. Bo Hu is an Assistant Professor (Research) of the Department of Neurology at Wayne State University School of Medicine. He received his MD and PhD degrees from University of South China. He joins us in May 2018 from Vanderbilt University where he become a faculty member as a Research Instructor following completing his postdoctoral training with mentor Dr. Jun Li.
421 E. Canfield St,
Room 2128, Elliman Building,
Detroit MI, 48201
Links of Interest
Dr. Hu’s research interests are inherited peripheral nerve diseases and Schwann cell–axon interaction in myelin physiopathology. He is focused on investigating the mechanisms that extrinsic signals from FIG4-deficient axons and macrophages exacerbate the overload of cytoplasmic calcium in Schwann cells, leading to segmental demyelination by utilizing mouse models with constitutive and conditional knockout of Fig4. He has performed research on how increase of intracellular calcium in myelinating Schwann cells drives the cells toward a dedifferentiation state and calcium chelator suppresses the dedifferentiation and demyelination in vitro and in vivo models. He has trained multiple students, research assistants and postdocs in Dr. Jun Li’s laboratory.
Awards & Honors
CMTA travel award, Charcot-Marie-Tooth Association, USA, 2016.
ANA Annual Meeting Travel Award, American Neurological Association (ANA), USA, 2019.
Assistant Professor, Department of Neurology (Research)
University of South China, Ph.D., 2008-2011
University of South China, M.Sc., 2004-2007
Assistant Professor, Department of Neurology (Research)
University of South China, M.D., 1998-2003
Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Department of Neurology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, 2012-2017
Research Instructor, Department of Neurology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. 2017-2018
Inherited peripheral nerve diseases, myelin biology and disorders
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
1. Pantera H, Hu B (Co-first-author), Moiseev D, Dunham C, Rashid J, Moran J, Krentz K, Rubinstein D, Won S, Li J, Svaren J. Pmp22 Super-enhancer Deletion Causes Tomacula Formation and Conduction Block in Peripheral Nerves. Hum Mol Genet, 2020, 29(10):1689-1699
2. Shisheva A, Sbrissa D, Hu B, Li J. Severe Consequences of SAC3/FIG4 Phosphatase Deficiency to Phosphoinositides in Patients with Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease Type-4J. Mol Neurobiol, 2019, 56(12): 8656-8667.
3. Moiseev D, Hu B, Li J. Morphometric analysis of peripheral myelinated nerve fibers through deep learning. J Peripher Nerv Syst, 2019, 24(1):87-93.
4. Hu B, McCollum M, Ravi V, Arpag S, Moiseev D, Castoro R, Mobley B, Burnette B, Siskind C, Day J, Yawn R, Feely S, Li Y, Yan Q, Shy M, Li J. Myelin abnormality in Charcot-Marie-Tooth type 4J recapitulates features of acquired demyelination. Ann Neurol, 2018, 83(4):756-770.
5. Hu B, Wang M, Castoro R, Simmons M, Dortch R, Yawn R, Li J. A novel missense mutation in AIFM1 results in axonal polyneuropathy and misassembly of OXPHOS complexes. Eur J Neurol, 2017, 24(12):1499-1506.
6. Hu B, Arpag S, Zhang X, Möbius W, Werner H, Sosinsky G, Ellisman M, Zhang Y, Hamilton A, Chernoff J, Li J. Tunig PAK activity to rescue abnormal myelin permeability in HNPP. Plos Genetics, 2016, 12(9):e1006290.
7. Bo Hu, Sezgi Arpag, Brett Parker, Robin Yawn, Jane Howard, Bryan Burnette, Stephan Zuchner, Jun Li. A Novel Missense Mutation of LRSAM1 causes CMT2P and Alters Transcription Machinery. Ann Neurol, 2016, 80(6):834-845.
8. Zou J, Hu B (Co-first-author), Arpag S, Yan Q, Hamilton A, Zeng YS, Vanoye CG, Li J. Reactivation of Lysosomal Ca2+ Efflux Rescues Abnormal Lysosomal Storage in FIG4-Deficient Cells. J Neurosci. 2015, 35(17):6801-6812.
9. Guo J, Wang L, Zhang Y, Wu J, Arpag S, Hu B, Imhof BA, Tian X, Carter BD, Suter U, Li J. Abnormal junctions and permeability of myelin in PMP22-deficient nerves. Ann Neurol, 2014, 75(2):255-265.
Jun Li, Bo Hu. Treatment for Hereditary Neuropathy with liability to Pressure Palsies (HNPP). Application Number: 15/651931, Approved by United States patent and trademark office on Aug 15, 2019.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Proceedings:
1. Hu B, Moiseev D, Li J. Schwann Cells with FIG4 Deficiency are predisposed to Demyelination. 51st Annual Meeting of the American Society for Neurochemistry. April 18-22, 2020; St. Charles, Missouri, USA.
2. Shisheva A, Sbrissa D, Hu B, Li J. Consequences of SAC3/FIG4 deficiency to phosphoinositides in fibroblasts of patients with CMT4J. 144th Annual Meeting American Neurological Association. October 13-15, 2019; St. Charles, Missouri, USA.
3. Moiseev D, Hu B, Li J. Morphometric Analysis of Peripheral Myelinated Nerve Fibers through Deep Learning. 2019 PNS Annual meeting. June 22-26, 2019; Miami, Florida, USA.
4. Isaac Manzanera, Megan Simmons, Daniel Moiseev, Bo Hu, Jun Li, Richard Dortch. Quantitative MRI of Nerve Pathology in Mouse Models of CMT1A and HNPP. April 21, 2018; 2018 American Academy of Neurology, Los Angeles.
5. Bo Hu, Sezgi Arpag, Stephan Zuchner, Jun Li. A Novel CMT2P Missense Mutation in the ring domain of LRSAM1 impairs nuclear translacation of RNA-bingding proteins. July 2017. 2017 Peripheral Nerve Society annual meeting, Spain.
6. Bo Hu, Sezgi Arpag, Brett Parker, Robin Yawn, Jane Howard, Bryan Burnette, Stephan Zuchner, Jun Li. A Novel Missense Mutation of LRSAM1 causes CMT2P and Alters Transcription Machinery. April 2017. Vanderbilt Postdoctoral Association & Shared Resources Symposium, Nashville, TN.
7. Hu B, Arpag S, Zhang X, Möbius W, Werner H, Sosinsky G, Ellisman M, Zhang Y, Hamilton A, Chernoff J, Li J. Tuning actin polymerization to rescue abnormal myelin permeability in HNPP. 6th International Charcot‐Marie‐Tooth and Related Neuropathy Consortium (CMTR) Meeting. September 8–10, 2016, Venice-Mestre, Italy.
8. Li J, Arpag S, Hu B. Impaired Nerve Conduction Relating to the Altered Ratio of Non-compact Region Over Compact Region of Myelin. 6th International Charcot‐Marie‐Tooth and Related Neuropathy Consortium (CMTR) Meeting. September 8–10, 2016, Venice-Mestre, Italy.
9. Hu B, Arpag S, Zhang X, Möbius W, Werner H, Sosinsky G, Ellisman M, Zhang Y, Hamilton A, Chernoff J, Li J. Tuning PAK Activity to Rescue Abnormal Myelin Permeability in HNPP. April 2016. Vanderbilt Postdoctoral Association & Shared Resources Symposium, Nashville, TN.
10. Bo Hu, Sezgi Arpag, Yang Zhang, Xuebao Zhang, Audra Hamilton, Jonathan Chernoff, Jun Li. Tuning p-21-Activated Kinase to Rescue Abnormal Myelin Permeability in HNPP. July 2015. 2015 Peripheral Neuropathy Association meeting, Canada.
11. Bo H, Yan Q, Li J. Segmental Demyelination in Fig4 Deficiency. Apr. 2014, 2014 American Academy of Neurology, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
12. Bo Hu, Jiasong Guo, Yang Yang, Leiming Wang, Jiawen Wu, Sezgi Arpag, Bruce Carter, Ueli Suter. Disruption of Myelin Junctions and Increase of Myelin Permeability in PMP22 Deficiency. Apr. 2014, 2014 American Academy of Neurology, Philadelphia, PA, USA.